Monday, February 22, 2010

Fair Use

It was really interesting to learn the basics of copyright and fair use. I showed my roommates the video because they are Disney fanatics, and they quite enjoyed it. :)

I think that fair use benefits teachers because they can supplement their lessons with materials without too much effort or expense. Without fair use, teachers would have to go through an extensive process to get permission to just use a picture or a video. Since I am a visual learner, I benefit so much from pictures/youtube videos/diagrams that teachers use in powerpoints, etc. Lessons would be pretty boring without the chance to spice up with materials. Also, it would be very difficult for a teacher to gather their own materials if they couldn't use someone else's for a lesson.

Basically, fair use makes it easier to be a good teacher. As long as you are giving credit where it's due, I think it's great to take advantage of the opportunities given thanks to fair use.

4 comments:

Kaylynn and Trenden said...

Yeah, I never thought about how expensive it would be to make all your own stuff.

Caitlin Lamb said...

yay visual learners unite!

Tennille said...

I totally agree! Good teaching requires using multiple ways of explaining things, and that includes videos, picture, graphis,etc.

Habitat said...

just follow fair use and your lessons will be golden :)

Post a Comment