Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Video Chat

For once, this is one piece of technology that I'm actually pretty good at. I spent the summer studying abroad in London, so I used video chat to talk to my family at least once a week. I'm the most familiar with Skype, but I have also used msn messenger video chat as well. After learning about different options in class, I would like to try out a few of them to see how they would compare.

For the assignment, I chatted with one of my best friends from home on skype. It was useful because we were able to see the expression and feel more like we were actually talking. We did have a few problems with echoing, etc, but I think that part of our problems were due to her slow internet connection.

In the classroom, video like this could be very valuable for having "guest speakers" who would not be able to come to the actual classroom. Also, you could use video like this to show students an environment, such as a lab, that you wouldn't be able to have access to.

3 comments:

Caitlin Lamb said...

I'm most familiar with skype also!

Tennille said...

I hadn't thought of using it for doing a lab. That sounds interesing.

Habitat said...

someday we'll consistently have high speed internet... really cool that you were in London!

Post a Comment